Monday, November 14, 2022

Female Directors (Part I): Věra Chytilová

When I look at photographs of female directors, I feel inspired. Not because I am a modern feminist (I lean closer to a feminism of the past perhaps). But rather, it is because I see myself. My natural impulse is to doubt myself rather than believe in myself, so when I look at images of female directors I think, if they could believe in themselves this much, why shouldn't I? They believed in themselves enough to endorse their own talent and vision - enough that others believed in them as well. Why shouldn't I?


Věra Chytilová

Věra Chytilová was an avant-garde Czech film director and pioneer of Czech cinema. Banned by the Czechoslovak government in the 1960s, she is best known for her Czech New Wave film, Sedmikrásky.





Examples of her work:








No comments:

Post a Comment